Too Sane
5/27/2004
 
PASS THE POTASSIUM, PLEASE

Saw somethin’ funny on the L train to work today. As everyone was pushing to get into the car, I felt a hand gently clap my shoulder. An older Black gentleman squeezed by everyone, "'Scuze me, ‘Scuze me ..." Anyway, a forty-something Puerto Rican woman turned around as he pushed by, and handed him a banana!

It was just like she was handing off a baton at a race. In this case, the rat race, but with a banana instead of cheese. I decided not to ask her why she handed him the banana, preferring to create my own scenario.

Juana Rodriguez’s neighbor Joseph Peajan sometimes forgets to eat breakfast on the way to wherever he works in the city. Being that he was dressed casually in a track jacket, t-shirt and jeans, he is most likely a social worker or a gym teacher/coach of some sort. Anyway, kindly Mrs. Rodriguez looks out for her neighbors. Hence, her helpful hand-off. I guess there ARE some nice people out there.

(originally posted 5.7.04)
|

<< Home


Powered by Blogger